The over-consumption of acidifying foods causes IBD. An excessively acidified body is a stressed body that becomes inflamed and deteriorates at a rapid pace.
Foods are determined to be acidifying/acid-forming or alkalizing/alkaline-forming on the basis of their metabolic end reaction in our body. That means after the nutrients from a food are utilized in the cells, the resulting waste fluid pH is either acidic or alkaline. The mineral composition of foods determines whether the food will be acidifying or alkalizing. For example, meat, eggs, milk and cheese are high in the acidifying mineral phosphorus. The primary acidifying (or acid-forming) dietary factors are as follows:
• Any and all animal foods and products: meat (including fish and fowl), dairy (butter, cheese, cream, milk and yogurt) and eggs
• All grains and flour products except amaranth, millet and quinoa
• All beans/legumes except fresh lima beans, fresh peas, green beans, soybeans and sprouted beans/legumes
• All nuts and seeds except almonds, chestnuts, fresh coconuts, pine nuts (pignolias) and sesame
• White sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, and some other sweeteners and carbonated soft drinks
• Alcoholic beverages
• Processed sugar
Drugs, marijuana and tobacco are also acidifying.
Except for blueberries, cranberries, plums and prunes, all raw fruits and vegetables are alkaline-forming (or alkalizing). Alkalizing foods promote physical and mental vigor, healing and sustained vibrant health. An alkaline body is a healthy body.
-Dr. David Klein
Subscribe to Our Weekly IBD Natural Healing eMail Tips and Get a Free Copy of Our Report:
“The 17 Dietary Causes of Colitis & Crohn’s & the Reasons Why Some Get IBD & Some Don’t”